I've uploaded my first public Yamon release, dubbed version 0.9.
- It works!
- There is a HOWTO; installation should be a breeze.
- Built-in tests for HTTP, SMTP, SSH and of course 'ping'.
- A generic TCP test which can do expect-style testing of pretty much anything.
- Inter-test dependencies so when your network breaks, it won't report everything else as being broken too.
- Alerts sent via. e-mail only, at the moment.
Things it doesn't do yet, but are planned for "version 1.0":
- Allow different tests to alert different people.
- Test system-health (using a helper CGI?) and fire alerts when machines run low on disk space, memory or other internal resources.
- Fire alerts using external programs (other than mail).
- Log to syslog.
- Possibly send e-mail via. direct SMTP instead of invoking mail?
- Make it export current status to an HTML file.
- Write stuff on this page about how to implement useful monitoring with this tool. For now, see the comments in the sample.yam file.